Thursday, January 21, 2010

A JenTastic Start to 2010

Hi blogosphere.  Or blogiverse.  Or whatever the world of bloginess is called.  It's 2010, which is kinda weird to type and say.  But here we are.  I have been slow in kicking off the new year of blogging because I have been so busy gathering my thoughts and plans for the year.  But now I think I am ready to unveil the deep musings of my crafty little mind.

First off, I apologize for not posting much in the pre-Christmas timeframe.  I realized that nearly everything I was crafting was soon to be given as gifts, and many to readers of my blog.  So in order to keep some element of surprise in the holiday cheer, I refrained from posting pictures or chat about my holiday crafting.

But now, the year begins, and new craft endeavors abound.  So I hereby promise to post some pics of my handiwork soon.  I have been crocheting, sewing, and generally crafting up a storm.

My other life tasks for the year 2010 will include house hunting and relocating mid year, which, as orderly and organized as I am (and lets be honest, slightly compulsive) is a huge undertaking.  So my time will also be spent on that big project, but hopefully not to the detriment of my hobbies.

I try each year, since turning 30, to learn one new thing.  I have learned to knit, quilt (a skill I am still defining, learning and finding my style at), began guitar lessons, and...this year...facing a major life fear - SWIM!  I have a wonderful instructor at out on post pool who hasn't let me drown, and is so encouraging.  I am not quite competent or confident, but I am at least not terrified.  I actually like how I feel after lessons - my body feels great, my mind is calm, and my spirit is exhilarated.  It is so deeply gratifying to (PTP) "dive in" and face fears and overcome them.  I hope to become a life long swimmer.

I have been under the sewing tutelage of my friend, the Tia, who has unlocked new worlds of fabric, style and creativity to me.  I am going to ask her permission to link her blog/shop on this site so I can share her brilliance with you.  She is amazing in every crafty way, her quilts, her bags...she is just fabulous.  I will show you some of the things I have attempted under her wise sewing guidance in upcoming posts.

I am trying to crochet an afghan a month this year.  I have started on one that will be a wedding gift this spring.

I want to read 100 books this year.  Now, to be fair, as my list shows already, these will be from all genres.  I read craft books, kids books, cookbooks, book club books, thriller series', poetry collections, and they ALL get to count in the list!  I have recently been accused of book snobbery, so I am looking to broaden my horizons.  Many of my Facebook friendsd have suggested title out of my element, and they are all listed now on my GoodReads list.  I am branching out!

It's not like me to write a ton without pics or anything exciting to share, so I will close for now.  Suffice it to say, I miss writing and may become a bit more philosophical in my blogging this year.  Consider yourself warned.  Once my fingers get moving, there is no telling what inner ramblings may escape.  After all, my mind is a playground for the absurd!


1 comment:

C said...

This was moving and inspiring. Thank you for sharing your efforts to better yourself. You motivate me to want to improve, too. I'm happy and thankful to call you a friend and blogging buddy :)